Monday, April 26, 2010

Shout To The Lord at Holy Rosary Brickfields

My Jesus, my Saviour
Lord there is none like You
All of my days I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love

My comfort, my shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

Shout to the Lord
All the Earth, let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name

I sing for joy at the works
Of Your hands
Forever I'll love You
Forever I'll stand
Nothing compares
To the promise I have
In You

I was at Holy Rosary Church (HRC) , Brickfields last Saturday attending the Sunset Mass & Novena service. Admittedly I went there as I had wanted to catch a football match that evening which was scheduled to start at 7:40pm.

Having been to a number of churches in KL, I found that the atmosphere at HRC was a rather quaint and it reminded me a lot of my earlier years when I started to understand more about the religion.

Why so you may ask? Coming from a parish where the Mass moves methodically, I was under the impression that things were a bit messy here in KL. Having been an altar server for close to six years was an excellent education on the significance of the rites etc.

At HRC however, it seemed like a throwback in time. Like I was taken to an age perhaps 15 years ago as I was growing up. Instead of the normal multimedia projector, HRC uses old school OHP (overhead projectors). Now that really reminds me of my responsibilities in secondary school. I was usually sweetly asked by the teachers to go down 2-3 flights of stairs to collect the OHP for use of the class. And after the class was over, I had to return it to the staff room again. Little wonder that I was the defending champion in the throwing events for 5 consecutive years then. Must be the weight I was carrying up and down the stairs daily.

Another anomaly was that Novena to Our Blessed Mother and Benediction is done after Mass. As such the whole service ends around 6:45pm. I have rediscovered the benediction after being shorned of it for over a decade.

Back in my home parish, I could vaguely recall the parish priest informing us that Benediction can't be done before Mass or something.... Give me a break, I was like 13-14 then. As such I haven't attended a Benediction for donkey years. Add the fact that I was a "lost sheep" for a good 7 years, I definitely missed my fair share of the developments.

On new year's day this year, I was moved to attend the Peace Mass held at a church in a town where I was visiting. Lo and behold, they had the Benediction before Mass following the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. The words to the hymn "Mary From Thy Sacred Image" and "Down In Adoration" came effortlessly that it even surprised me. I felt a strange stirring within me as I felt warmth all over.

I found out later at the end of February that The Church of Our Lady of Fatima had Novena and Benediction at 6pm every Saturday. Since then, I had frequented the service as I offer my petitions. There's this belief that praying over intentions for 9 consecutive weekends could possibly make it come true.

I hope that's the case. I'm not keeping the score but I reckon I have been faithfully attending for about 6 or 7 weeks now discounting Easter Triduum where there wasn't a service scheduled.

I apologize as I'm going off track. I included this song as a posting as it is a song that I haven't heard since my days with Young Christian Students (YCS) back in school. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it being played again after over 15 years.

Anyways, have a blessed evening and week ahead. No guarantees when will my next post be. Please feel free to comment and propose what I should write about.




No comments:

Post a Comment