Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why The Animosity??

Note: This entry was posted on Friday, January 8th when news of the attacks were filtering in. It was an extremely uncomfortable time as I recalled. I attended Novena and Sunset Mass on Saturday and found that the church was somewhat less filled than usual.

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." Matt 5:44

I'm moving away from my normal musings as what I saw over the news today saddened me... 3 churches were attacked with molotov cocktails today... And one of which was the Assumption Church, Petaling Jaya...

Now this church holds a special place in my heart as it was there that I attended my first service with her as a so-called couple :)

It is sad that we allow emotions to get the better of us... To think that such retaliations and acts of violence would make things better or reverse the court's decisions...

It is also sad to think that one word could cause all this hoo-ha... To think that such a powerful word exist that it can shake the tenets of our faith... That it can cause so much division and discord amongst a people that share this nation...

"Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing..." Luke 23:34

It is a difficult time to be a Christian, not to mention Catholic in these times... There are times when I wonder if the word was worth its' weight with all this trouble brewing and seemingly close to boiling over...

Are we to be assured of our safety when we go to worship? Can we practise our faith without interference and fear? Would our own faith be now shaken in this hour of uncertainty and peril?

Can we not treat all and one with the same standards we measure ourself against? Allow everyone to practise their faith freely as I believe that the Almighty teaches each and everyone of us to do good upon others...

It does show I guess a certain degree of hypocrisy (if that is the right word) with the actions of the government... The appeal against the decision was filed most immediately without much of a pause for a breath...

In April last year, two journalist from Al-Islam entered the church and in their 'investigative' pursuit, they have desecrated what we Catholics believe to be holy... And up until today, these two journalists remain free without any charges brought upon them...

Forgive me Datuk Seri Home Minister? Did they not do something which could have jeopardise relations between Muslims and Catholics in the country? Should the book not be thrown at them?

I will not pretend to be learned in matters of the law or the religion... After all, I'm am but a normal human being, a sinner as well as a learner... But I hope we all take a step back and reflect on our actions...

Would what we are doing right now be what the Almighty expects of us? I can remember there was a time where this phrase was widely pasted as bumper stickers some years back... I'm however compelled to use the version said by Katherine Heigl in an episode of Grey's Anatomy, " What would Jesus freaking do???!!! "

"... Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us..." excerpt from the Lord's prayer...

<<< . >>>

Upon some reflection since posting this particular thoughts last night (Tues) I have decided that perhaps it would be good to stress that the issue where the Blessed Sacrament was defiled has been resolved.

Recently, the charges against the two journalist was dropped by the judiciary. In the aftermath of that announcement, the Archbishop of KL, Tan Sri Murphy Pakiam had openly called for the publishers as well as the journalists involved to apologize to the Catholic church.

The apology was posted on the magazine's website on March 6th as well as in the April 2010 issue of the magazine. Tan Sri Murphy gracefully accepted the apology and has stated that he considered the matter to be closed.

As such, as Catholics, I believe that we need to allow whatever personal hatred or anger over this issue to pass. It was said that to err is human, to forgive divine. Let us not harbor any further resentment over this matter any longer.

I may have erred in posting my thoughts which admittedly was written with indignation months ago, but having done so I believe that the post should remain as a reminder of our failings as humans.

Posted: April 28th, 12:11pm



No comments:

Post a Comment