Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stations of the Cross at SFA, Cheras

As promised, I am posting photos of the 14 stations of the Cross that can be found at St Francis of Assisi, Cheras. The photos as well as the bible quotes were obtained from the church's website which can be accessed at http://www.sfa.org.my/index.html.


The First Station:

Jesus is condemned to Death

"He was insulted and did not retaliate with insults; when he suffered he made no threats. Instead he entrusted himself to him who judges justly... Through his wounds we have been healed" (I Peter 2.23-24)


The Second Station:

Jesus accepts His Cross

"His state was divine, yet he did not cling to his equality with God, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a slave, and became as men are". (Phil. 6-7)


The Third Station:

Jesus falls for the first time

"But Jesus said to them (James and John), Have you the strength to drink of the cup I am to drink of, to be baptised with the baptism I am to be baptised with? They said to him, We have". (Mark 10:38-39)


The Fourth Station:

Jesus meets His Mother

"Love is as strong as death" (The Song of Songs 8.6)

The Fifth Station:

Simon helps Jesus to carry the Cross

Carry each other's burden and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6.2)


The Sixth Station:

Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

"Your face, Lord, I seek. Do not hide your face from me." (Psalm 27.8-9)

The Seventh Station:

Jesus falls the second time

"My palate is drier than a potsherd and my tongue is stuck to my jaw. I am lying in the dust of death". (Psalm 22.16)



The Eighth Station:

Jesus consoles the women of Jerusalem

"Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me but for yourselves and for your children". (Lk. 23:28)


The Ninth Station:

Jesus falls a third time

"In my own body I make up what is still be to undergone by Christ for the sake of his body, which is the Church". (Colossians 1:24)

The Tenth Station:

Jesus is stripped of His garments

"There they are staring at me, gloating; they divide my garments among them as cast lots for my clothing". (Psalm 22: 17-18)


The Eleventh Station:

Jesus is nailed to the Cross

"Today you will be with me in Paradise". (Lk. 23:43)



Twelfth Station:

Jesus dies on the Cross

"Father, into your hands, I commend my spirit" (Lk. 23:46)


Thirteenth Station:

Jesus is taken down from the Cross

"I am the Lord's servant, let it be done as you have said". (Lk. 1:38)


Fourteenth Station:

Jesus is laid in the tomb

"If we become united with Christ through a death like His, we will certainly be united with Him in His resurrection". (Roman 6:5)


<<< . >>>

I have attended a number of Stations of the Cross recitations. Most recently, prior to the Good Friday service. And not many would have probably made a lasting impression on me honestly. Previously, the stations of the Cross that was recited at a pilgrimage site that was designated when we celebrated the Jubilee Year in 2000 was probably the one that may have stirred some emotions.

However, these photos of the stations which is quite graphic and admittedly three dimensional and life sized as opposed to the ones we usually see, had touched me emotionally. I would try my best to participate in the Stations of the Cross there during the next Lenten season.


No comments:

Post a Comment