Friday, April 30, 2010

St Michael's Church Ipoh

I was in Ipoh for the New Year as a quick getaway from the rush of the big city. Anyway, I had plans to celebrate the New Year dashed when my companio had to take a rain check.

So, on an impulse, I decided to run down to Ipoh for a short vacation. I didn't fancy driving considering the jam I may have to endure as such just packed a small backpack with enough stuff for a few days and ran down to KL Sentral looking for a train ticket. I was lucky enough to obtain a ticket at the last minute considering I didn't have a back up plan should they be none available.

I figured as it has been ages (more than 10 years at least) that I attended a Mass to welcome the new year, I guess this was a good time as any to end that streak...

Having reached Ipoh and getting myself checked into my abode for the duration of my trip, I set about walking around in search of dinner. As I have heard of St Michael's before from my friends, I figured that I should attend Mass there. Having obtained the telephone contact from the internet, I called to check if there were Masses scheduled for New Year's Eve.

I was pleasantly surprised to know that Mass would be celebrated at 11:45pm with a Christmas Carol presentation preceding it at 11:15pm. As I wasn't too sure of my bearings, I decided to grab a cab to get there early. I got to the church (which was surprisingly a short hop away from the hotel) at 10:30pm to soak in the atmosphere.

The church reminded me of a chapel back home where I normally go whenever I needed to spend some time in quiet reflection and prayer. It was similar in size thought I can really feel the sense of history as I stepped into the church.

I did some checking later on the net and found out via the church's website ( www.smcipoh.com/index.html) that the church was the first Christian church to be built in Ipoh in 1890. That was a whopping 120 years ago!!!

The present building however, began construction in 1893 and it took two years for it to be completed. And I loved the architecture. There were Chinese characters at the front porch which of course being a none Chinese reader, I was unable to decipher. I found out later via the website that the characters read, "God is the source of all truth".


This photo, obtained from the website showed the church before the renovation and restoration works. Even before all that was done, it certainly looked impressive. One of a kind I should say.

Anyway, being dark, I decided against taking any photos of the church. However, hearing that there was a session of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament on New Year's Day followed by Benediction (which again incidentally, I haven't attended for donkey years), I decided that I'd be back the next day.

The Mass on New Year's eve was one of the most beautiful ones that I have attended. The choir's rendition of Christmas Carols were superb and the atmosphere was extremely homely and welcoming. I didn't feel like a stranger in the church with the many smiles proffered to me especially during the sign of peace.

Coming back the next day, I took several pictures of the church;


This was where the statue of our Blessed Mother was placed. I like the fact that the structure was built with Chinese architecture. It was certainly a wonderful fit.

This is of course the statue of St Michael the Archangel. He is of course the patron saint of the Church. Recently, I was forwarded one of those so called quizzes on Facebook to discover who was my guardian angel. Surprise surprise, it was St Michael... :) Not that I believe in all that mumbo jumbo though...


This was a photo I took of the front exterior of the church. You've got to admit that this is an impressive church which is quite extraordinary.


And this was how the church looked like from the main entrance. Loved the way the decorations were made. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture a picture of sunlight casting a shadow through the stained glass behind the altar. I'm sure that would have been captivatingly beautiful...

I left the church after Mass with a warm feeling within me. I vowed that I would be back someday (soon I hope) as this church actually felt as quaint as home.

Based on the website, weekend Masses scheduled are as follows;

Saturday : 07:00pm (Eng)
Sunday : 08:00am (Eng)
Sunday : 09:30am (Man)
Sunday : 05:30pm (Eng)








No comments:

Post a Comment