Thursday, April 29, 2010

St Francis of Assisi Cheras


Well, I attended Mass here once. What struck me when I got there was the fact that it was situated on top of a small hill.

And that wasn't all. I noticed that along the road up to the church was lined up with almost life sized statues. At first glance, I didn't notice it but upon being informed by my companion I realized that the statues depicted the stations of the Cross.

Unfortunately, as it was getting dark, I was unable to check out the statues up close. I was told by my companion that the stations of the cross there was known locally as Gethsemane. More on the stations of the cross in another posting.

Upon entering the church, a sense of familiarity came over me. It was an extremely simple church with very little extras. Now don't get me wrong... I get a sense of a congregation fiercely faithful and proud of this church. A feeling I can identify to as I feel the same whenever I'm back home at my own parish.

Also, this church reminds me of the chapel of St Peter where I attended the funeral service of my grandparents. They passed away within 2 years of each other. My grandmother from old age having beaten the dreaded cancer while my grandfather a week shy of granny's 2nd anniversary, of a broken heart I suspected.

Anyway, the structure of the church resembles that of the chapel. I remembered as I walked in I was fascinated with the architecture.

We returned to the church a few weeks later to attend the sunset mass but ended up running down to Sacred Heart Church, Jalan Peel as the church celebrated the feast of St Francis of Assisi that Saturday. While I was disappointed to have not attended Mass there, it led me to my visiting my favorite church here in KL. (You can check out the story in the earlier posting on Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Jalan Peel)

As for "Gethsemane", I'll post the pics on a separate post. If there's anyone out there who knows more about the statues commemorating the Stations of the Cross, do drop me a line. Would love to know more about it...

Mass times are as follows

Saturday - 07:00pm (Eng)
Sunday - 07:30am (Tam)
- 09:30am (Eng)
- 11:30am (Man)
Note: Second Sunday of the month, BM Mass is celebrated at 09:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment